Thursday, September 9, 2010

Family Vacation 2010 - Part 3

The final photo chapter of the trip! I am really glad to get this whole catching up thing over with so that I can move onto things that are a little more current! The last leg of the trip was incredibly relaxing! There were a few days that we had to fill between the Pioneer Day celebration and the family reunion on my father's side. The reunion was held in the mountains just a few miles from my mother's side of the family. We got the whole gamut of family fun in on this trip! 
One day we drove to a place that has a whole cliffside covered in pictographs. I had never seen any before so it was really interesting. 
Here are my mother's parents in the visitor center.


A very small sample of what was written on the walls of this rock. It is unfortunate that parts of the wall have been vandalized. Stupid teenagers.


Me and my boy hiking and trying to stay cool in the 100+ degree temps. Oh my gosh, it was hot that day!


My grandfather, a bear hugger, a Patriarch and temple sealer. He is an incredible man and I love this picture of him.


I think this picture says, "We ate so much buffalo, all our bellies are bulging".



I love this little guy! He is my very best buddy!


The next day we went up to the Big Horn Mountains to scope out the site for the reunion. We had a picnic and did some great sightseeing. Emerson is a true mountain man! He was such a rock star and loved being up there!


Make a wish! Emerson doesn't quite grasp the concept of blowing and just makes a "ttthhhffff" sound. Daddy had to step in and help out!


The beautiful scenery of the Big Horn's.


Boyd's Ridge. A favorite lookout and the place where my father wants his ashes to be scattered someday. The camera doesn't do it justice. It honestly takes your breath away when you step out onto the ledge and see it all. 
Emerson was quite scared being up here. He didn't want any part of it. My mom held him and took him to the car so he wouldn't be afraid anymore. Then he cried when he thought about Wes and me still at the overlook and told my mom to go and get us and tell us to get back because it was too scary. He didn't want us up there either. He is too cute!

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Wes acting insane! 


The men got some good fly fishing in on this trip. My dad gearing up for a cast. The fly fishing is really good here!


The next day we drove back up the mountain to the reunion. It was such a beautiful location!


It was really great to see so many family members again! Some of which I have not seen (or met!) in over 20 years! Am I that old?


The men got the horse shoe pits ready for some serious competition!


My cousin Matt grilling up some good grub.


A volleyball game in the mountains has been a tradition in the family. There is a lot of trash talking that goes on in these games. It used to be that I would sit and watch all the adults play. Now I am one of them and the oldies sit on the sidelines and cheer us on!


The river runs through it. Literally. This was right next to our reunion site!


Wes showed Emerson how to roast a marshmallow. He liked the fire more than the marshmallow. Just like his old man!


The ride home went smoothly and effortless! Little E was worn out and took a few naps between Little Einstein and Toy Story videos.

It is hard to believe that it is all over! We had looked forward to that trip for SEVERAL months, planning and deciding where were going to go, stay and do. We are already planning next year's trip and I can't wait! 

3 comments:

lyndsey said...

what a fun trip! that story about e freaking out and wanting you to come back to the car is SO adorable -- what a cute kid!

Joan said...

I missed the husband posing on the edge of Boyd ridge. No wonder Emerson wanted him back. He knows his Dad is CRAZY!! And talk about trash talk...the oldies on the sidelines? I was on the sidelines and if I had known you were calling me that you would not have gotten any gum.

sachia said...

I love Emerson...he is such funny lil' guy...I'll take him...just in case you were wondering.