Monday, September 13, 2010

Dear Denver, I Like You!

I was home from Wyoming for only a week and a half before venturing onto my next destination. Denver, CO. My cousin Matt and his wife, Alex, were having an open house and vow ceremony to celebrate their wedding that had actually occurred year ago. The actual wedding was very small and intimate and held in Oregon on Alex's family's property. Only a handful of family and friends were able to go so they held this open house as a way for everyone to come and celebrate. The trip was originally going to be Wes and me with little E in the back seat once again and we were going to just follow my parents in their car. Wes decided to stay home with E at the last minute, my sister, Colett, decided she wanted to go too so it ended up that she and I just rode with my parents. I was really sad at first to not have my hubby and boy with me. I really wanted Wes to see Colorado and be able to go on another vacation with each other. But then reality set in and I thought of how great it was all going to be! No pushing a stroller everywhere, no one to get bored and annoyed while I shopped for 8 hours, no one to run around and have to be chased down the aisles at the Rockies game, no one to worry about what to eat for lunch because an ice cream cone for lunch just isn't sufficient enough! It was awesome!
No offense boys, I love you, but this was a great trip without you!

Our first stop was the Main Street Cafe in Grand Junction. It is a classic all American diner with the usual menu items and it's decorated in vintage memorabilia. The food was delicious! 


The city has several large sculptures and art pieces throughout the streets and this one caught my sister's attention! Her climbing on it and riding it caught mine! Yee-Haw Lett! 


Next stop: Vail. What do you do when on vacation in one of the most beautiful towns in the Rocky Mountains? You find a lot of photo ops! Cheeeeeese!


My father and mother. They kind of felt like the hosts of the party while my sister and I were like the hired entertainment. 


A river runs through it. When your child or husband isn't with you on vacation, you end up getting a lot of pictures taken of yourself! 


Vail. You rock.


Me and my sis.


I wish this was my view when I looked out my window. But, no. 

The next day my dad and uncle went golfing and the girl's had a great day without them! We used my parent's GPS (aka Lulu) to navigate us though the city to all our shopping destinations! We spent the day shopping and touring the city waiting for my dad to meet up with us. It was so much fun and I am really glad that both my mom and sister love to shop as much as I do! We wore ourselves out!
We stopped at a cute little cafe and ate homemade ice cream. I got the salty caramel! Oh my! It was heaven on earth and I have been craving it ever since!


We finally met up with my dad and he took us all to a Rockies game that night. Our tickets may not have been the best, but the people watching and the mass amounts of food my dad bought for us was fantastic! In this picture my dad is saying, "Eat your heart out, Wes!' Seriously, he is! 


Coors Stadium.
The players entering the field. Notice the fountains in the back. They shoot off whenever something exciting happens. The Rockies were playing the Milwaukee Brewers and were down quite a bit by the 7th inning so we decided to leave. Just so happens that right when we left, things got real exciting and the Rockies were able to pull ahead and win the game. We could hear the fans screaming as we walked down the street to the car! 


Looking back at the stadium and wondering what all the cheering is for! 


City of Denver. It is huge!


We walked around downtown on 16th street. We caught this guy playing his electric guitar in the alley. Way cool! 


The next day we headed into Boulder where the reception was being held and where we planned to stay the night. Boulder is a big college town and it was back to school season so there were a lot of people in town. Boulder is very "earth friendly" and it was interesting place, to say the least.
There is a large promenade that is open only to pedestrians. There are street performers on every corner and we watched (and listened. yawn.) to this guy for awhile. Stop talking and do your thing Mr. Really Tall Unicycle Guy! 


We hit the city's Saturday Farmer's Market. If you like lactose and gluten, this is not the place for you! If you like over the top all natural, organic and allergy free everything, this is the place for you. What I found really interesting is that everyone was so concerned with eating healthy, but the town is notorious for it's large consumption of alcohol (think Coors) and EVERYONE there smokes - tobacco and weed. Hmmm? I think I'll have that Duncan Hines made-from-a-box brownie with a tall glass of whole milk, please!


That evening we went to Matt and Alex's party. It was held at a little farm just outside of town and it was gorgeous! They used the produce from the farm to make the food that was served at the reception. Everything was delicious! Favorite tasty treat of the evening, SALTY CARAMEL cupcakes! How did they know I needed one of those?!

That evening we retired to our hotel room and hit the hay. We knew we had a long drive ahead of us in the morning.
We didn't make as many stops on the way home since he hit everything on the way there, but we did go into the gas station to pick up a few lottery tickets. The Denver Lottery jackpoct was up to almost 80 million! No such luck for me, though! It just wasn't my day to be rich, I guess! 

Thanks mom and dad for toting me along! You guys are great tour guides and I hope I get to vacation with you again someday! 

No comments: