Tuesday, August 4, 2009

MT and Beyond - Part 2

I really have to get this trip posted! I have been so busy this week, but here are some photos from day 2-6 of the vacation!

Day 2: We went to church (late!) and were able to see so many friends from my home ward/stake where I grew up. How I love to catch up and see how and what people are doing after 15 years! After church, my mom and I went on a drive to see how the city has changed with all the new home and business developments. Wow - it has changed A LOT!  We then went back to my brother and his family's house and had a big BBQ!

Day 3: Woke up and went to Granny's Attic, thrift shopping, Gainans and then the mall. Bought some great treasures at the antique store for projects from this and a great sweater that made me a little excited for the fall! Is that bad?

(Granny's Attic. Approximatly 30,000 sq. feet of antiques goodness! It takes quite a bit of time to go through it all! )


After shopping we said goodbye to my brother, Shon and his family for a few days and headed south. Cowley, Wyoming (Population 604) is home to my grandparents and many childhood memories. I love this home and this tiny town with all my heart!



Day 4: Woke up and took a walk with my grandparents, my mom and little E. My grandfather told me stories of the town's history and it's people. I loved every minute of it!






This is the school that my mom attended. Next to it is a log gymnasium where my mom would go to watch and cheer on her school's team! Go Jaguars!



After the walk we just relaxed on the big front porch and ate popsicles. It was the kind of day you didn't want to end. It was so peaceful!


Day 5: Pretty relaxing day! Got ready and went and hit the "Big City". Lovell, Wyoming (population 2,281) is just 5 miles away and has a few more things to entertain us. This is the town where my father grew up in and is the home to some more relatives and loved ones. We made a stop at the local fabric store. I always make an effort to go to this store when I am town because the selection of lace, trim and notions is unparalleled! They have things you just can't find anywhere else and I feel like a kid in a candy store!





The rest of the day was spent playing the in the yard, more porch sitting.....



...and picking apples from the huge tree on the side of the house! Best sour apples on this side of the Mississippi!

We ended our day with another walk around the town and enjoying the 70 degree temps! Another day completed in the sweet embrace of Cowley!

Day 6: This is the last day we have of laziness, peace and quiet until the crowds start rolling in tonight! We decided to go back to Lovell to visit some more stores since they were closed the day before.

We stopped at The Hen House - A Place for Chicks! Lovell's economy has been hurting for decades and most of the stores on Main St. have been vacant so seeing this hidden gem was so nice to see! It is a great store and I hope the people in the town support it and keep it going!


Next we went to the famous Queen Bee Gardens! They make and ship honey, candy and confections all over the world. They have quite the production here and it was fun to see them making all the candy that day. They were kind enough to give us a free sample!

We returned back to my grandparents home to enjoy some homemade carmel rolls and wait for the rest of my family to drive in to meet up with us for the next chapter of the vacation!

To Be Returned....
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

2 comments:

Jess Craig said...

hi! i just started reading your blog! anyway, i love the picture of you and your grandfather. it's very touching!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Your trip looks so great! I'm so glad you had a great time! Your grandparents look so nice. I'm glad you got to be with them.