Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Embellishing: Project #1 Complete!

My first project from the "Embellishing Techniques and Projects" book is complete!  I am actually happy with the outcome for once! Usually, I will make something and then toss it into the pile of clothes to be taken to the thrift store because I don't like the final result. I was surprised at how simple, inexpensive and fast it was to do. If you are looking to update an old piece of clothing this is a really easy way to do it! No sewing machine necessary!

Here is a picture from the book used as inspiration:
The idea is to use vintage/antique embroidered linens and use them as an applique to a garment. So cute!
The book shows beading around the floral and ribbon applique, but I opted not to go that route since it doesn't really fit my style. I love how the edges are frayed!



I started with this linen table runner and cut it apart.  



Here is the end result!



I used iron-on fabric adhesive to attach it and then I hand stitched around the applique with embroidery thread, which is really easy to do!


A little detail on the back because a pretty goodbye is just as important as a hello! 



I found the linen shirt by Converse at Target for $4.95! The linen table runner was at an antique store for $4.00. Embroidery thread is .35 cents. 
Total cost of project:
$9.30
Total time to complete project:
1.5 hours

You can't beat that!

4 comments:

Mindee said...

Amy - You are so talented! Looks Great!

AmandaS said...

I am so impressed!!! it looks fantastic!

Colett (*.*) said...

lovely and thrifty, you are my kinda gal!

Joan said...

I really like it. You are clever.