Thursday, July 16, 2009

Your Trash, My Treasure

This economy is a tough one and if there is any way to save money and spend less, here is the way to do it: Estate Sales! You can spend very little money and find great treasures and keepsakes with just a little hunting and driving around. I do prefer estate sales to garage sales because estate sales are held in a state of emergency typically due to a family member passing or being placed in assisted living, so the family is eager to sell what they can in a short time to help pay for funeral expenses or housing and they are willing to make a deal. Also, the items at an estate sale are usually in perfectly good condition and were well taken care of since they were used and loved until the day the person had to leave them.

Here are a few samples of what I have been able to find in my scouring through the belongings of the deceased:
This great candy dish which purpose serves as my soap holder in my bathroom. Sold to me for $2.00


These Wiss all steel pinking shears usually sell for around $50 in the store.  The sellers "cut" me a deal and sold them for $3.00!


I am so excited to use this great thermos this winter for our sledding, snowboarding, snowman building adventures! .25 cents! A nice cool price to keep us warm this winter!


I found this great hard bound book that is called "The Book of Flowers". There hundreds of pictures of hand painted flowers in it and I love the embossed flower on the cover. And when I don't have a grabby toddler that enjoys ripping things, It will be a perfect coffee table book for only $2.00!


This amazing serving tray is one of my favorite finds! It is larger than it looks (about 16" diameter and 8" tall) and each petal can be removed for easy cleaning. Another great feature: it spins smoother than a record on a turn table! Turned my head for only $2.00!


Another fave! These trays come in really handy when you have a toddler! E loves that his ketchup/ranch dressing has it's own home! Cool vintage trays - $2.00. Keeping your food from touching - priceless! 


Is it weird that if we ever get around to doing family pictures, that I want a shoot with just this bag...by itself? That is how amazing I think it is! I can't stop admiring it and will use it as my new carry on. Makeup, magazines and underwear are styling for only $2.00!


This may be the greatest find of the summer! I know the mid century modern thing isn't for everyone and I am glad. Leave it for me! I saw this chair and just about died! It is an Eames replica. It is made by Plycraft and is called a Mr. Chair. They are worth way more money than I would ever be willing to pay. However, the family selling this had no idea the value of it or that it is a collection piece and sold me the "hippy chair" (as they called it!) for only $30.00! I found it here for much, much, much more! P.S. This chair was around long before stinky hippys!



Lastly, this great hutch was owned by a lady who my mother in law took care of for quite some time. She passed away and my MIL was in charge of selling her things. We got this for free! Who can beat $free.nintey.free? I drilled holes in it and added some cute knobs from Anthropologie and now it holds all our kitchen appliances and our hearts! 


 Although I tend to migrate to the vintage items in a house and Wes goes straight to the tools, you can find a lot of new items and furniture pieces, as well. 

Tips for estate sale shopping:
-Check your local newspaper or their website under the classified section. (If you are local, ksl.com lists them in the classifieds under "Announcements"). Craigslist is another good way to find them.
-Go early! Some sales start as early as 7:00 a.m.! The early bird gets the worm!
-Take cash (1's, 5's and 20's) not check or debit. Also, the seller probably won't be able to break large bills.
-Always carry hand sanitizer and wet wipes with you! You can clean an item off to see it's potential and then clean yourself off! 
-Don't be afraid to wheel and deal! But, be nice and be polite! People are more willing to see things go to a loving home with nice, respectful  people!
-Make a list of things you are looking for (i.e. table linens, sewing supplies, flower vases, books) because it can be very overwhelming at times and cause a bit of anxiety!  Having a list can keep you calm and help keep yourself focused with your eye on the prize!


5 comments:

Kee said...

I love estate sales too! Some of my favorite vintage trims have come from them. You can't beat velvet ribbon and handmade lace for cents. There is an email that one of the companies that puts on estates sales here sends out. I still prefer the ones that the families do though. I like to try and imagine who loved all of that stuff.

Joan said...

That chair has to be the deal of the year. I love the estate sales too although it makes me a little sad for the families.

heidi said...

Wow Amy. I might have to make an effort and go to one of those! How many have to been to? Those are all way awesome things. I'm especially jealous of the chair.

sachia said...

Uh, your amazing and your place is darling. Love these things, your finds, your tips.....what a FUN way to spend Saturdays!!!!

Melissa said...

OH. MY. GOSH. I'm floored!!

I'm green from head to toe with envy. That chair alone is the deal of a lifetime. I bow down to your thrifting talent!

Take me with you sometime! Maybe I can channel some of your luck.