Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Out for a Drive

Yesterday was one of the few days Wes and I had free in several weeks. A definite "poppy" moment in life! We decided to take a drive to some of the small towns that surround us and check out what they had to offer as far as Tuesday entertainment. We had a hard time deciding to go north or to head east. East won. (Sorry, but west wasn't even an option! Have you been out west of SLC?! No thank you!)

We first started in the tiny town of Peoa. I knew that some of my relatives were buried there and quite honestly, I thought Peoa was somewhere by Manti or Price. It just so happens that the cemetery is right off the main road and I could see a large monument with my ancestors names on it.  After taking this picture and thinking I was pretty lucky to find it among the others, I noticed about 20 other headstones all with the Marchant name on it.  I guess I pretty much own this town.


Next stop: Oakley! I love this place! If I were to buy a vacation home in Utah, it would be here! This may just be the coolest small town next to Cowley, Wyoming. We stopped at the Road Island Grill. It is an old trolley car from, well, Road Island. It has been turned into a restaurant that keeps the 50's vibe alive! 

*

They even had real jukeboxes at the table! After dropping a quarter in the slot and selecting B5, we could hear the Beach Boys sing "Wouldn't it be Nice"!

*

They even have homemade/handmade milkshakes - my number 1 favorite food of all time! Made with REAL ice cream, not that soft serve crap poured from a spout on a machine! 

*

We hit the towns of Marion, Kamas, Francis, Woodland and then ended up in Heber and Midway.  It was a great day for a drive!
We took Guardsman's Pass home. Look at this incredible view! 

*

What is it about seeing a steep drop off and wanting to chuck a rock into it? We couldn't resist the urge! F.Y.I. I am a terrible aim.

*

I love this man! He likes to do the same things I do. 

*


Little E wanted to drive us back home and honk the horn the whole way. Whoa happy buddy! Let's wait about 14 more years! 

3 comments:

Colett (*.*) said...

I am watching Studio 5 right now and they are doing a whole thing about this little diner!!! What a co-inky dink, Too bad you didn't go there today you could have been on TV!

Joan said...

I watched the Studio 5 segment on the Road Island Diner too and wrote it down so I could go to it when we get there. If you had looked closely at the headstones, you would have found the Eyre's there too. Sounds like my kinda day.

madison holmes said...

Ooh, mark has been meaning to take me to that restaruant :) it looks so fun.