Monday, July 13, 2009

You're In My Seat


Next Monday I am leaving for nearly 2 weeks to go to Montana and Wyoming. While there, I will get a chance to spend a lot of time with 2 incredible people that I miss dearly: My grandparents! I don't get to see them very often and when I do, my time is often shared with a lot of other family members that are visiting as well. This visit will be different and I can't be more ready to go! My head is already there!

*

When I was just a little older than Emerson, my grandfather made this wooden chair for me. By hand! I remember thinking that I was pretty special since I got my very own chair! As the youngest child, I was often forced to give up my seat or told to move somewhere else so that an older and more dominating family member (you know who you are!) could have it. So, getting this handmade present was a dream come true! Over the years, my little buns grew too big for the seat and my legs too long, and it soon became only a stepping stool for home repair projects and was stored in the garage for further grunt work. I brought it home from my parents house the other day and with a little TLC, I brought it back to life!

Before



After



I found an image of Peter Rabbit online and decoupaged it to the seat of the chair. My grandfather use to - not TELL us this story - but SING us this story with his loud, deep voice and I thought it was the greatest thing a child could possibly hear! I couldn't help but work on this chair and wonder if he ever imagined that one day my child's little buns would be sitting on it and loving it as much as I did!

9 comments:

Angie of Down This Road Designs said...

Amy, I love this post! I love grandparents and the memories and traditions that they bring to our lives. I have a cradle that my grandfather made for Boston. Boston was never able to meet my grandfather as he passed away a month and a half before he was born. But, it is really special to me and Boston that the cradle was made special for the both of us. Thanks for reminding me.

Ashley said...

I love the chair. It is so amazing. Plus the stories that go with it is wonderful.

I will be in Mt also. My parents have the same number as always. Call us if you have extra time.

{natalie} said...

i always love a red chair. i think it's awesome you are getting to spend time with your grandparents. i really miss mine. have a fun time in MT.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Amy! What an awesome chair! That is so cool what you did with it. I'm glad you still have it. Very cool!

Kee said...

We can't wait to see you! I didn't know that Grandpa made that chair! What an awesome memory. Now E will be able to sit in his own chair while you tell him stories. What a cool way to pass on a legacy. See you next week. My fingers are crossed for E making it all the way through on Tuesday. :-) so we can spend more time together!

Colett (*.*) said...

yeah SHON, you know who you are!

Joan said...

Oh it turned out so cute. I have always loved the chair and it's so sturdy. I love Peter rabbit too. It has almost as much meaning as The Rabbit and the Hare. Good job!!!

madison holmes said...

so neat :)

sachia said...

I loved my Grandpa something fierce so to have a chair that reminds you of your Gramps is just priceless.