Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A New Adventure


Well, we just got back from our trip to the coast! The coast of the Great Salt Lake, that is! A few days ago Wes and I were talking about how he has lived here all his life, and I have lived here for 13 years, and neither one of us had ever actually been to the Salt Lake! WHAT!? The weather was so nice today that we thought we would take full advantage of it by spending it outdoors and playing on the shores! I had no idea the lake had such great sandy beaches and how it really does remind me of the ocean - the smell, the sounds and there are even spots when looking out to the water you cannot see any land! It was water for miles! We also went to Saltaire, which was unfortunately closed until Summer. I didn't know very much about this historic place until I got home and researched it a bit. What a kiss of death! I loved what Saltaire used to be and wish we had something like it now. The old pictures of it are incredible! I really do have a whole new appreciation of the Great Salt Lake and after reading more about it, I can't wait to go back and explore it even more! 
*
 I highly recommend learning more about this immense body of water by reading here or if you are interested in the ever so cursed Saltaire you can read about it here!


Hiding my poorly neglected winter feet in the soft sand!



Are you sure this is not the Oregon Coast!?



That's right! We make good babies!



My love looking so stellar in his vintage Ray Bans!



Emerson had a blast picking up the sand and throwing it! So did mom!



My boys on the rocky shore! I loved these concrete slabs...this spot would make for a good photo shoot someday!



He had a hard time walking on the sand at first and would laugh as he slid around!



I love his guts!




Dad and son throwing rocks into the water



The sand is so soft! When you pick it up and look at each little grain, you can see that they are PERFECTLY round tiny pebbles! 


The marina. I loved seeing the boats docked here and then looking up and seeing the snow capped mountains behind them. That is not something you see everyday! 



"When you saw only one set of footprints....that was when I carried you."
HaHaHaHa!


7 comments:

Alex said...

o that sounds like so much fun i still havent seen the Great salt lake

Kristin said...

I haven't been there either. I tried to book a dinner cruise once for Steve & I, but Steve said it would be stinky, so we didn't go :(

Joan said...

I haven't been there for 36 years. I remember going out on antelope Island on a tiny strip of land and thinking it was so awesome. Let's all go back again.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Wow. You make me want to go. I haven't taken my kids.

Colett (*.*) said...

maybe in the summer we can go lay on the beach, if we close our eyes maybe we can believe we are in Mexico. I want to go too! Was it stinky?

Margaret Kay said...

What a fun trip, and thanks for sharing it with us. I have actually been there many times AND I have been on the dinner cruise (not romantic, I was working a case). It's not so nice when the flies and brine shrimp are out. This is a good time of year to see it!

steph said...

You've inspired us to go-I've been wanting to take the bikes and go around antelope island too. Nice pictures. When I read your blog it makes me laugh-I've said it before, I'll say it again, you are funny!