Sunday, March 29, 2009

Easy Easter Craft How-To

Here is an easy Easter craft that I did and thought I would post a tutorial on it! 
It's kind of a no brainer, but for the people who just don't get the whole "crafty" thing, I broke it down into a few simple steps! It took no more than 30 minutes to make and it was a lot of fun!

*Happy Easter Banner*
Tools that you will need:
- 11 sheets of 8.5X11 cardstock (colors of your choice)
- 3 yards of ribbon or string
- Computer
- Paper trimmer of scissors
- Hole punch


1) Pick a font on your computer to your liking and enlarge it considerably.
       You may need to run a few tests on plain paper to see if you have the correct sizing. Play              with colors! I chose a dark gray instead of flat black. It seemed a little less heavy with the            brighter colors I chose for my paper.
       (I had to enlarge mine 2000% for the right size!)


2) If you are using multiple colors of paper, make a key as reference. As you can see, the                  words spell out "happy easter" from left to right. To make it easier, I printed 1 letter at a            time while avoiding paper jams from the use of heavy card stock. After printing off one                letter, I would simply delete it on the screen and type in the next letter according to the              key. Feed printer coordinating paper as each letter is typed.



* Each letter will take up one sheet of paper *



3) Measure out how large you want your squares to be, making sure your letters are centered.         I just measured how far the letter automatically printed from the top and left side then               matched it on the bottom and right side. If you want to get real creative, you can use                     pinking shears or patterned blade scrapbooking scissors instead of a straight edge.


4) Make a template of where you would like your holes to be for weaving your ribbon or                   string through. Be sure that these are centered as well! If you want to add any                                 embellishments, this would be the time (i.e. spray glitter!).


5) Finally, weave your ribbon through each hole!



Voila! You are done!

6 comments:

Kee said...

It is so nice to see something that looks like spring even though our weather is mean. :-) I think that this turned out wonderfully, both playful and elegant! I love it. Can't wait to see pictures of little E with his Easter basket. We miss you guys.

Colett (*.*) said...

I am wondering, if it's so easy, why you didn't make one for me?!?! So selfish.

{natalie} said...

i love banners like that. i keep forgetting Easter is coming up. thanks for the tip!

Kristin said...

Love crafty how-to's - thanks!

Joan said...

It turned out great! Now that you have figured out the technique, you can make one for the 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.....my birthday and Mother's Day. You have a lot of cardstock and ribbon to purchase.

sachia said...

No Way!!! We just had a party at my house Sat night making htese....I'll have to shoot you an insideers look at what we did. Smaller scale but good job on the beautiful festive banner!