Sunday, January 4, 2009

Look What I Can Do!


While I was sitting and watching Emerson play in his room yesterday, I couldn't help but to have a little fun, myself! His bedroom faces south which allows so much natural light to come into his room. It keeps the room warm throughout the day while coincidently providing a prime opportunity to make SHADOW PUPPETS! I have always been intrigued by this form of art so yesterday I decided to learn a few things to not only entertain myself, but maybe even little E someday. 
Then who knows, maybe even onto Carnegie Hall?


It was a little rough at first. My hands even started to cramp and I was getting mad! I just want to make ONE little shadow!


Kind of getting the hang of it. Still need some practice!


TA-DA! Can you see it!? It's suppose to be a rabbit but since my fingers are so skinny and 9 ft. long, the result is a little weak! I'm not going to give up and I will learn more! I also learned that it is not only how you form your hands, but also how you position and tilt them into the light. It even matters how far away from the wall -vs- how close to the light you are. Who knew it was so hard? 

Check this amazing show out for size!
(turn up your speakers!)



If you want to learn your own puppeteering, you can also go here:


5 comments:

AmandaS said...

Ha! That is so cute. My pinky finger is sooo much shorter than the rest of my fingers that all of my shadow puppets would be deformed!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Amy, that video was so much fun! I had no idea you could do so much with the shadows from your hands. Your pictures are totally fun too.

About ice skating... it will be so much fun to go with you! My ice skates still aren't in yet. They are supposed to be in on Thursday. Would you mind waiting until they come in? You are going to laugh at my akwardness on skates, but it's so much fun. Taking that class yesterday was so fun. I really want to take more classes.

sachia said...

Ice skating?? Sounds awesome, can you puppateer while you skate?? Wouldn't that rock? What chair did you end up choosing?

Colett (*.*) said...

I think you have a new hobby to get you through the next couple of miserable months of winter. I will expect a grand show in the spring.

noelle said...

That was soo cool, thanks for sharing. I keep coming back to visit 'cuz I love your fish taco link :)