Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tradition



It has been a tradition for my family to drive up the canyon the first weekend in October to one of my very favorite Utah destinations: Sundance Ski Resort
This place is very near and dear to my heart since I dedicated over 6 years of my life to this corporation. While living in Provo, I worked at the ski resort for a few years enjoying the benefits of free snowboarding and trading the chefs at the 2 restaurants a shot of espresso for a gourmet dinner (They considered that a fair trade!). I then moved to Salt Lake City and began working as an assistant manager at the Catalog Outlet Store. My paychecks were small, but I always found the means to buy several pieces of jewelry, clothing and housewares! After my time there, I was hired on at the Sundance Catalog corporate offices to work as an assistant to the buyers. Dreamy! My experience with the company was amazing! I loved all three jobs and miss it dearly - especially the resort at this beautiful time of the year! Robert Redford saw something special about this place so many years ago and upon my yearly visits, it is not difficult to see what exactly he saw here. It sweetly affects all my senses! The aroma of delicious food being cooked at the Foundry Grill and Tree Room, the sound of the river rushing by, the crisp clean air that gives anyone living among the Wasatch inversion a much needed break, and of course - the colors of the leaves that have turned the landscape into God's work of art. Mountains are a sanctuary in itself, but the small and quaint resort at Sundance is heaven! 


We got there right after a rainstorm so the sun was just starting to come back out from behind the clouds. Perfect timing!


Keep me warm! My bones aren't use to this cold yet!


We bought passes for the chairlift and rode to the top of the mountain. I was a little nervous about E, but he did great!



Peek-a-Boo, I see you!


All the boys together


Taking a stroll. I am wearing camouflage


E loves my dad! He may love his sunglasses just as much!


Amelia was the best babysitter! She kept him entertained and safe from the steep drop-offs. These 2 have so much fun together!


You can always count on Wes for a laugh and some good entertainment.


My sweet mommy and me!


This is Colett and Chief Ican'tsayhisname. If anyone else knows the nickname to this funny statue, feel free to email me for a good laugh! 


Wes wants to know if it would be o.k. to bring his fishing pole. The rainbow trout and I both say NO!


Just enjoying the day!


We walked over to the Art Shack and watched glass being blown into art. Not really my cup of tea.


He had the time of his life! Sorry buddy, we have to say goodbye and go home now!

5 comments:

The Gilbert Bunch said...

Looks like a fun day! I love the look on Wes's face when you are hugging him. I miss you! I am glad I can still see you in the blog world!

Anonymous said...

I little E! We need to get together SOON! Braxton is going to finally be 1! This friday and he is still NOT walking! Em needs to show him how it is done! What a cute boy! I love all the fall pictures. They are so so beautiful!

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

I loved reading this. Your writing is beautiful. Your pictures are beautiful too. So glad you got to go! We drove through that canyon last weekend too. So fun!

Andrea Denzer said...

That's Abe and my tradition too! In fact we were there on Saturday with my parents and Laura, Brett and Ryan. Maybe you were there on Sunday because it was a total downpour on Saturday. Sorry we missed you!

Margaret Kay said...

Beautiful photos and memories, Amy. I especially loved the photo of you hugging Wes, it is precious!