Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkin Huntin'

As I have said before, the festivities of autumn are among my favorite!  I don't think Halloween would be complete without the hunt for the perfect pumpkin! We chose to venture out to a quaint and quite large pumpkin stand by our house that I have been driving by since late September. I saw that they had the white "ghost" pumpkins that I love so much so I knew it was a must-stop on our quest. Besides, it would make a good photo opportunity! While there, we admired so many pumpkins and thought we would no doubt be leaving with a trunk load. When the lady running the stand told us how much the pumpkins cost, I just about died! They didn't charge by the pound, they charged just by simply summing the pumpkin up, then telling you the price for it! Are you kidding me!? Our stash would have cost us over $40....In this economy?! Now what? Well, after taking so many pictures and basically just using the place for a nice photo shoot, we felt guilty and bought only one tiny pumpkin for Emerson. 
Then it was off to the grocery store for the real hunt!



Emerson is looking for his prize pumpkin! 



Here they are, all lined up like beauty queens. You can see their anticipation as they wait to be selected as the big winner!



Little E among the pumpkins that are apparently made of gold and filled with diamonds.


This is the trophy pumpkin to honor our cheap and guilty complex. 



Off to Albertson's! They had the best selection! Look at these beauties!



He thinks they are all toys and was rolling them around on the ground.



Here's the problem with the grocery store -vs- pumpkin stand: It's messy and difficult to find a good one. You really have to dig. A little dirt never hurt!


Eewww! No thanks! Only pretty pumpkins can be our friends! 



Can't forget a few of the tinys....



They are perfect for little hands to carry throughout the house!



Here is this year's collection! We are so proud of the newest additions in our home!


9 comments:

Kristin said...

Love the white ones!!

Sam and Jess said...

we also went on a hunt to find a perfect pumpkin. Unfortunately there were only gigantor ones, so we bought a few of the tinies and we'll also have to make a stop at Albertsons.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

How much was it at the grocery store? I always buy at Enghs because I feel guilty too.

Amy said...

I'm not sure how much it was at Albertson's, but I was at Harmon's last night and they were .13/lb. Pretty cheap!

Colett (*.*) said...

Thrifty is always the way to go! The expensive ones end up in the garbage in a couple of weeks just like the cheap ones! See ya Monday!

Alex said...

what was wrong with the pink one i thought it was cool:)

Joan said...

I love the white ones too. Those tiny ones are just E sized so no wonder he likes them. Save it make make him a mini pumpkin pie with it.

Mom

{natalie} said...

hope you don't mind me checking out your blog via ash. i love your pumpkin pics...the pumpkin patch is one of my favorite things for some reason. your little boy is super cute too.

Margaret Kay said...

I'm with Alex . . . I thought the ugly one was cute! Love your posts, Amy!