Monday, June 7, 2010

Kickoff to Summer!

It makes me really sad that my own neighborhood lacks adventure and community oriented activities. (No offense neighbors, but this neck of the woods is pretty slow paced and dispirited!) So it's a really good thing that my sister and her neighbors let us piggy back on all their activities and fun! 

Each year at the close of the school year, my sister and her husband help ring in summer with a huge neighborhood food fight for all the kids...and whomever else decides to show up! Every year I would see her pictures and hear her stories and be envious of how much fun they were having. This year I wanted to be a part of it and a part of it we were! 
Setting up! The kids gets so anxious and it was hilarious to watch them try to resist sticking their hands in everything until the countdown!


3...2...1...GO! 


Lucy and Abby - my honorary nieces! Looks like they got it good! (Kim, I hope it's o.k. to post pics of your girls on my blog! In swimsuits!) 


My real niece - Isabelle. She had her fair share of fun!


And this is how they wash off!


You would not believe the smell after it is all done! The worst combination of foods covering the ground! Ugh...watch you step!


After the food fight, it is tradition to set up the longest slip and slide known to man!
My nephew, Nick, hijacked Emerson and took him down much to his chagrin!


My nephew Joey sporting some good moves down the slide!


My niece Hollie and nephew Toby going down sibling style!


Don't even think for a minute that my sister and I didn't take a turn...or 5. "Hands in the air like you just don't care!"


And I may have let forced Emerson to go down a few more times.  Look at that face! He was terrified but I think he secretly liked it. I think. I love to click on this picture and look at it over and over and over.....
hehehehehe

Yeah, I think a move is definitely in our near future! 


(P.S. My brother and his family are in town, so if you were thinking all those nieces and nephews belonged to my sister, be rest assured they are not!)

4 comments:

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

I'm always jealous of your food fight each year I've seen your pictures. YOU should organize something fun for our neighborhood!

Kristin said...

OMG - that looks like so much fun. We're having a kiddie pool party today with popcicles. Hmmm. Next time I may try this. Way more fun.

lyndsey said...

haha! that looks so fun. what a great way to kick off summer. i'm glad you went down the slide too :)

katherine said...

you really ought to move back to our neck of the woods . . . there are lots of homes for sale! and lots of children to play with, including mine!