Friday, June 18, 2010

Eggs and Uglies

My mom and dad had some unexpected visitors these past couple of weeks. A robin had built it's nest under my parent's backyard deck and laid it's delicate blue eggs! The nest was on top of a support beam but under the floor board of the deck. It was completely impossible to see inside the nest unless you had a double jointed neck and a head the size of an orange. I had to raise my arms up and hold my camera steady and aimlessly to take pictures, hoping that I would be able to capture something good!


I think robin eggs are the most beautiful color! It makes me want to paint something in my home this color. I don't know what, but I will find something. I kept a piece of shell just in case I needed to do a color match at Home Depot! 


Both the mommy robin and the daddy robin would sit and keep a close watch on nest while sitting on the back fence. Anytime someone, or something (i.e. dog), would go in the backyard, the parents would dive bomb and attack them! They were getting really aggressive and my mom had to start letting the dog go to the bathroom in the front yard!


they wanted to protect these little "beauties"?


Every pregnant mother wonders what her baby is going to look like and worries if they will be cute. I bet this mother is really sad.
I guess the saying "a face only a mother could love" rings true in this situation! 


Every time I raised up my camera, they would open their mouths! Yes, little robins, I do have barf in my mouth, but it is unfortunately not for your dinner - it is merely from looking at your featherless bodies and holes in your head!!!


I love this picture of the tiny beak coming up out of the nest! I'm sure the mommy would have been in there feeding them if I wasn't standing there interfering and trying to amuse myself! 


They kind of look like they are singing to me in this picture!

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow - those are gross. But that last picture is awesome! You should enter it in the fair ;)

{natalie} said...

the color of the eggs is awesome. and i love all the open beaks! they do look pretty gross though and i love the "i do have barf in my mouth" line.

lyndsey said...

lol! i seriously hope my baby is cuter than these guys. cool photos though!

Joan said...

Great pics Amy. Now see my blog to see them as toddlers.

Annie said...

You've captured something really special here. It's marvellous how proud and protective mom and dad are. Our robins and blackbirds here get scared off by the constant pestering of magpies. Best wishes Annie

Andrea Denzer said...

You are so funny Amy! And those birds are so ugly! I always think that baby animals are so cute- no matter what animal it is, but I think that they all have to go through that weird awkward stage I guess.

Lauren @ 31diy said...

I totally agree! Robin egg blue is a gorgeous color.

I like all your pics of the birds, especially of the eggs. By the way, I saved a baby bird a couple of weeks ago. The bird fell out of the nest and a cat was trying to get it. The parent birds swooped down and made lots of noise trying to get the cat away, but they were unsuccessful. I got the cat to drop the bird, and I found a nest lying around in a different location. I put the baby bird, who appeared to be fine, in the spare nest and propped it up in the same tree its parents were in. I love happy endings like this one. :)

Anyhoo, sorry my comment is super long. Just wanted to share my story since your post reminded me of it.