Saturday, October 24, 2009

Thoughts in Fall

The fall season is very nostalgic for me. As a Utah transplant, I often get homesick and there are days that I would just rather be closer to my roots. The kind of homesick where there is a real physical pain in your gut and your heart aches. While growing up, this is the time of year that we would make several trips to northern Wyoming where both sets of my grandparents lived. Their firewood needing chopping and stacked, the leaves raked and burned, and the garden harvested and canning done. I loved our visits and being surrounded by so much family and good food! The other day I took my grandmother's orange carnival glass, that I inherited, out of our cupboard and displayed them on the shelves in our dining room. I wanted to be able to look at them every day! I love that they are now adding color to our room and also allowing my thoughts to be in a distant place where my body unfortunately cannot.


5 comments:

sachia said...

Thank you Granny, those dishes make me happy just looking at them. Shiny and orange.

Jem said...

I, too miss Wyoming at this time of year. Palm trees just dont turn colors like they should and stew in the crockpot just isnt as good when its still 80 out. What I dont miss is dressing the kids in their costumes and then putting coats and hats and gloves on them. You couldnt even tell what they were dressed as.

Joan said...

You know I love vintage things. Maybe that's because it's considered vintage or antique if it's over 50 years old. That makes ME vintage (not antique) and I guess I do love myself so we are all happy, happy, happy.

La La Land said...

Oh, those plates are so pretty! If you get too homesick you could visit my Dad's house where all of those events are taking place!

Amanda said...

Love.this.post.

So glad you have those dishes and can enjoy them during this time of year.