Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thrifty!

So, I have been wanting a baroque mirror for quite some time now. And when I say "quite some time", I mean 3 freaking years! I love the look of an ornate piece mixed with modern elements. The more I stalked design blogs and magazines, the more I was inspired! It used to be that one would have to pick a single decorating style and have it flow through their entire house. Thank goodness times have changed in the world of decorating! Eclectic is key! I had searched numerous antique stores in several states and was always put out by the ridiculous prices of baroque mirrors. The cheapest I could find was still over $200.00! I did find one the other day at my "secret" used furniture/antique shop and the owner was willing to wheel and deal to the price of $40.00! I knew it was a steal, but I just didn't want to spend that much, either. I'm really cheap! 

These mirrors that I found online and in magazines, are NOT!
Aren't they amazing! The oval coral mirror is from Horchow and is priced so nicely at $790.00! (I know it is blog etiquette to give props to where you found images online, but quite honestly, I don't remember where I got them? So sorry!)


I know it's old news, but I am still very upset that this magazine was discontinued. I anticipated it's arrival each month! Look at this cover! I have never seen such styles mesh so well and so beautifully! There's that baroque mirror with Eames shell chairs!



Today I did my usual bi-monthly trip to the Deseret Industries. (Never go to a D.I. on a Saturday in this economy! Crazy!) Low and behold, there she was just laying there amongst oak frames circa 1987 and rooster prints! The wife-beater-wearing, mullet-sporting, lack-of-good-hygiene people snubbed it and walked right on by as though it was the biggest piece of trash they had ever seen! No one else could see it's potential?! GOOD! She was all mine for a lovely price of only $5! 
Before

After

A little black high gloss spray paint can make a world of difference and make Amy shout from the rooftops, "I LOVE MYSELF SOME D.I.!"

12 comments:

Kristin said...

Sweeet!

Kee said...

I love how that turned out! Isn't spray paint one of the greatest things ever? It takes a sweet little treasure up a notch to "freakin" great!

Joan said...

Well I guess it was meant to be wasn't it? And I thought $40 for the other one was a good deal. This one is just as pretty. Your little house is coming right along now.

heidi said...

I LOVE it Amy! We have many DI treasures in our home. I'm jealous of that mirror find. I even liked it gold, but shiny black is awesome.

I just got the letter that said I'll be getting Cookie instead of Domino. The name Cookie scares me, but maybe it will be cool? We shall see.

Margaret Kay said...

I love D.I. - treasures everywhere! Hmmm - I wonder if I am one of those "The wife-beater-wearing, mullet-sporting, lack-of-good-hygiene people" ;-)

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

AWESOME!!! I'm so excited for you! That is a gorgeous mirror!

Alex said...

WOW!!! thats cool im happy for u

Colett (*.*) said...

Finally the search is over, now what are we going to shop for?

Amy said...

Pillows and chairs!

AmandaS said...

loooovvvve it! Seriously, you have a knack. I need you to come and decorate my house!
p.s. any chickens yet?

sachia said...

Aimes-

Drooling all over my keyboard. You have always been good at style/designing and I'm not surprised that this post is a major feast for the eyeballs! T-A-L-E-N-T-E-D lady!!!!

Amanda said...

Love this.

I am searching for oval frames myself for silhouettes I did of my kids a few years back. They are hard to find!