Friday, November 7, 2008

No, No, Nooooo!

So, we have this problem. 
When we moved into our house, we ripped out our small windows in the front and replaced them with large picture windows. They are wonderful in every way, except for one. They are bird murderers! The second I hear the "THUD" echoing through the house after impact, I can hear another "THUD" as my heart drops to the pit of my stomach! As I have said before, I am an animal lover through and through, and I mean it!
-I nursed a baby robin back to health for 2 days after it fell from our tree this summer. 
-My friend Lisa and I stood on the pier in Huntington Beach and saw a man pull a stingray out of the ocean that he accidentally snagged on his fishing line. We watched it gasping as it bled profusely and I started crying. It didn't help that some touristy Asian guy equipped with a fanny pack kept saying that he wanted to take it home and eat it!
-I helped Wes rescue a batch of baby ducks that had fallen into a sewer drain after witnessing the mommy duck fall into panic mode and screaming for help! 
-I make Wes stop the car whenever I spot a lost dog so we can try to find it's home or owner. (Maren, your dog has been a client of ours a few times!)
So, as you can see, having my feathered friends fall to the ground after flying aimlessly into our windows is heart breaking and traumatizing! Our neighborhood is filled with quail and dove families and I find much happiness in watching them and admiring how beautiful they are. I know they are families because quail and doves are monogamous. I think this is very endearing and tender! So when I see one that had a fatal accident in my yard, I get very sad knowing that there is a loved one awaiting it's return. I want to help prevent this but am not sure what to do. If any of you have suggestions, please share them! I don't want to be responsible for any more birds kicking the bucket!


WARNING!
Image may be considered graphic and not suitable for the big hearted!
.
.
.

R.I.P.


Update: 
-The stingray was released back into the ocean by the fisherman and lived happily ever after! I'm sure he had nothing to do with the death of the Crocodile Hunter. Oh yeah, I also reprimanded the Asian tourist.
-The baby robin was soon found by his mother (who nearly attacked MY mother for getting too close to the baby!) and learned to walk, then jump then fly!
-We were able to save all the baby ducks (but 2) by fastening a plastic bag to a wire hanger and scooping them out of the drain before they were sucked down. Wes still talks about the 2 ducks that were lost to this day. He has a very tender heart, as well!

12 comments:

Alex said...

by some clear bird net or fish net
and hang it two feet in front of the windo and tsrech it tite
so i hope that helps

Jennie said...

You should check out www.flap.org for some good ideas. You could also try and hang pretty wind chimes in front of the window too, pretty music and living birds:)

Joan said...

Christmas lover, bird lover...yep we are related. Remember when I found the humming bird with the broken wing a couple of years ago and took it to 3 vets before one would take it in? I cried for him, fed him, made a nest for him and mourned for him because I knew he was going to die. One thing though...I will eat another rotisserie chicken as soon as I can.

Mom

Kristin said...

Home Depot sells window pane covering stuff (like contact paper) in different styles - one is reflective like a mirror on one side (you can see out but birds can't see in) - maybe that would help (it is removable too). We had to put some 'frosted' coverings on a couple low windows to keep the dog from barking at everything that walked by.

sachia said...

Put a cool stencil on your window. Some cute funky swirl design or something Amy inspired. Adds cuteness all around and saves lives.

Colett (*.*) said...

This picture makes me a little sad but it also made me giggle a little too, it's so morbid, face down in the snow, how sad. I like the wind chime idea the best.

Reid and Christine Family said...

We changed our blog url to: www.reidandchristine.blogspot.com

We just didn't want our last name on the blog. Keep checking us out!

The Gilbert Bunch said...

Thanks so much for the help with our dogs! Do you ever want to work out at cottonwood heights?

Lisa said...

My old corporate office had these pretty, blue reflective windows and birds flew into it all the time... I've heard the stenciling thing works or decorative designs that will allow the birds to see its not just sky. Maybe call that bird sanctuary in Salt Lake and ask them- I think they are in Liberty Park. And, I totally remember that Stingray!!!!! So freaking sad!

Kee said...

I hope you find something that works. That is so sad. Very dramatic photo. :-) I think that wind chimes might be the best option too...just not the quietest. Do you get a lot of wind? I know that ours break here.

Margaret Kay said...

Poor birds! I saved a baby pigeon from the Maintenance workers at the Rio Grande one time. They killed it's parents for pooping on the sidewalk. I took the featherless baby home and somehow managed to keep it alive. When it grew up, I let it go - only it wouldn't go. He would follow my kids to school, and then return for breakfast. I LOVED that bird. Let us know what you decide to do!!! xo

Margaret Kay said...

I found this in "Birds and Blooms" and thought it interesting for your post here. The experts said: "Another rescue challenge arises when a bird hits a window, stunning it or knocking it unconscious. The best care to give a bird that is stunned is to leave it where it falls, and cover it with a colander or large sieve. This will contain the bird and protect it from predators. It should recover within 20 or 30 minutes, and then you can release it." Hope not all of them die