Friday, August 15, 2008

On Thursday I had the opportunity to attend my Aunt Margaret's retirement ceremony and luncheon at the state capitol building. This incredible woman has worked for the Utah Highway Patrol for 24 years! She has done everything from vice work to fraud investigations. Her resume' is quite impressive to say the least! Margaret had no intentions of becoming an officer of the law until one day when she turned on the TV and watched the Cagney and Lacey show. Margaret was completely inspired! She made one call to find out how she could become an investigator and this once aspiring actress and model's life took a major detour. She was one of 5 women and several dozen men in the police academy. Her odds were very much against her but she remained strong and dedicated! She put her whole heart and soul into her career and Utah is a better place because of all her hard work to keep us safe for so many years. Congratulations Aunt Margaret!


Who can resist a women in uniform!



Certifiably over it!



Do you think we are related?


Shaking hands with the peeps before she says a few words



A nice turnout of family and friends



Cousin Jason and Margaret showing how official she is....or was.



After the ceremony Margaret took all the ladies and kids on a tour of the capitol 
building. It is in the last stages of renovation and it looks incredible! 



I was amazed by all the intricate (and expensive) details!



Is it inappropriate to let your child have a go at the stairs leading the to Supreme Court? 



The artwork on the rotunda depicts stories about Utah's history. The chandelier is approximately 12 feet in diameter! That is the size of my bedroom!



Can you imagine some guy standing on a ladder day after day with a chisel carving the details into the marble. I am sure he needed some serious meds before the task was complete!



A quiet and spectacular building!

8 comments:

Sam and Jess said...

I would love to work in law enforcement...court T.V. (or TRU T.V.) is my favorite!!! I just don't know whether I am dedicated enough to put years into it. I want to go directly into the good stuff.

Alex said...

THAT IS COOL man that would be fun

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

What pretty pictures of the capital. I haven't been there for a long time.

Congratulations to your aunt.

The Gilbert Bunch said...

Wow! You girls look so much alike! What a great family!

Colett (*.*) said...

Hooray for Margaret! Sexy and tough, good combo!

Joan said...

I love the song you found for this blog. It made me laugh. I love the one of E on the steps. How tiny he looks. Yes, 24 years is quite a long time in law enforcement. I am so proud of her.

The Gilbert Bunch said...

You need to enjoy the good old days! My kids steel my ipod and all I get to watch is High School Musical (do you think it is gay that I only have boys and that is what they want to watch?) Guess who is the new Bishop! Let's move back.....

Margaret Kay said...

Oh Amy! Thanks so much for the sweet tribute. How kind and I love you so much. And thanks to all who came. I didn't think I would care about the retirement party stuff, but then when family arrived, it made my heart so happy! I'll just steal a few copies of your photos if you don't mind.