Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Meaning Of The Name

I know I have stated it before but because I still have people ask, "What does the name Poppies and Paper Cuts mean?", here is a post to describe it in more detail and help you "get the picture". 


Paper Cut moment in life: Whenever I have to beg, plead and bargain with my son to sit on the toilet, this is what I have to deal with. Every time.


A Poppy moment in life: Strolling the isles at Target and not only finding the amazing Liberty of London dress I wanted, but these Oreo cookies to go with it. When I saw yellow puffy stuff all over my kitchen floor, I worried that it was play dough. When I discovered it was the icing, I ate it!


Paper Cut moment in life: A full 15 ounces of baby powder dumped on every square inch of Emerson's bedroom. Just take a minute to think about how much 15 ounces is.


A Poppy moment in life: Finally getting an area rug for the living room and LOVING it! Stripes - be still my beating heart!


A Paper Cut moment in life: That we are averaging a bitter snowfall every 4 days. Dining al fresco on the ol' deck seems to be a pipe dream at this point. I have no idea how to even dress myself this time of year.


A Poppy moment in life: March is almost out of here! Yippee! I have a really hard time with this month. I just can't wait for it to be over and for Spring to get here. Bring on the flowers, long walks in the neighborhood and sun kissed cheeks! 


A Paper Cut moment in life: Wes eating ALL the Girl Scout cookies but closing the boxes back up and leaving them on the counter. I went to open them up to get a tasty snack only to discover a tray of crumbs. And I was P.M.S.ing so I may have even cried about it.


A Poppy moment in life: Finally remembering to get the yarrow I collected from my parents yard last year and left hanging in their garage to dry. The color is gorgeous and it brings so much happiness to our living room! 


Last but not least, here is a Poppy and Paper Cut moment all in one: R.I.P. to the high chair. Little E loved it so much but he looked so silly in it with his legs hanging half way to the floor! I am glad that we get to sit with him at the dinner table now and I get another corner of the house to decorate, but I am sad that my little baby is growing up way too fast and is wanting to do big boy stuff now....except for using the toilet!

So there you have it. Life undoubtedly hands us fields of beautiful poppies and the pains of paper cuts. What matters most is how we deal, appreciate and learn from them in the end - thus the story of my life and purpose of this blog!



9 comments:

sachia said...

Random comment alert! Yay for Yarrow, wow that stuff is beautiful. Ikea Highchair: Sienna has the same highchair and is now entering the long dangly leg phase. Shoot, guess I better follow your lead and fix that lil' problem. Emerson: Thanks for sharing the super cute photo of your son screaming his mad face off to you, wow....we all get it. Mommyhood!

lyndsey said...

hahah i love that shot of him screaming...nice photo. though i'm sure it wasn't fun at the time. and i LOVE those spring oreos. we've already gone through three bags :)

you make me look forward to mommyhood...kind of ;)

Colett (*.*) said...

get that little stinker over here so I can pinch his buns (Emerson not Wes)

Kristin said...

Great post. We're at the same place with getting ready of our baby swing - man those things take up needed space!

Joan said...

I remember when you started the blog and told me what it means. I think it is a clever and insightful
title and when Colett gets through with E, bring him to me and I will pinch his buns too, if I can find them. They are soooo tiny.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Such a fun post. It's fun learning more about you. I love your rug!!

{natalie} said...

i love the lanterns (wish they weren't covered in snow!) i'm looking forward to eating outside asap.

ps i was so happy to get rid of the high chair!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, is that first picture E or Wes crying so hard? It could seriously be either one they look so alike! And that is also what I imagine Wes looks like when he cries! Ha ha. Love this post. P M S-ing and girl scout cookies! I have been there!!!! This is great Amy!

John R. Tate said...

I watch people. Besides digging up the Boss’s prized begonias or sleeping in another freshly dug, deep, cool hole in the sand under the palms, what’s an eighteen pound Brussels Griffon to do? But watch people… do weird stuff.

Take the Boss, for example. He’s got a long pole thingy with a net dipping out the last little itsy bit of schmutz floating in the pool. Go on! Just jump in, make a big splash, swim about, laze about on the float and watch the clouds drift by. Sweating the small stuff here doesn’t make sense in paradise. I think he forgets sometimes. Humans make small stuff into paper cuts. Baby powder on the floor. Just snow inside. How fun. (I’ve never seen snow… wouldn’t know really.) Throwing a tantrum with the toilet? He’s starting early…to complain about stuff that he has no control over. You gotta take a dump now and then, big guy. Better to do it out under the ferns than on the carpet. Give up on changing the weather, chance, or a flat tire on your wedding day.

Me, the moment is what we make of it. Rain or shine, it’s neither good nor bad. Just different. Let’s see if this place is a good place for deep, cool hole in the sand. Right here, under the poppies.

http://chewstersworld.blogspot.com/