Thursday, July 10, 2008

Beauty All Around!

Attention all family, friends and blogstalkers:
There are several "tags" in the blog world. There is the classic "questionnaire" tag to learn juicy and unknown facts about people, there is the "what's in your purse" tag that Colett did and the "respond to questions using only google images as your answers" tag. They are all fun to do and even more so, read, but I came up with a new one! It's called "What's Lurking in Your Yard"? My mother always taught me that there is beauty in all things. I took the challenge after a long hard look at our devastating yard a few days ago. Wes sprayed a chemical in our yard to kill all the grass so that we can bring in top soil and sod and start new. It is a bleak and brown sight. I thought, "there is nothing interesting or beautiful about this crap hole!" Low and behold I was incorrect. Emerson and I took a little nature hike through the yard and this is what we found. I now see our yard in a whole new way!


This was taken a few weeks ago. They are not living in the birdhouse anymore, but it sure was fun while it lasted! Sorry to disturb your slumber, guys!


My mom and I went for a walk a few months ago and I stumbled upon this fabulous succulent. I dug it up and planted it in my yard. It's pretty much the only living thing we have now. 



My beautiful Zebra Finch died recently. We owned her for 4 years and I felt it necessary to give her a proper burial. RIP my sweet Rosie!


This is a huge ball of sap seeping from our apricot tree. Looks like snot but still very cool.


Thanks to the previous owners of the house, we now own a sprinkler from 1984.



These are everywhere. Has anyone seen my salt shaker? I do like seeing their trail on the sidewalks, however. I often wonder how long it took them to get where they were going and if they even know where they are going.



Apparently this a. hole doesn't know we don't want roommates. Move out, NOW!




O.k. I cheated on this one. This flower isn't "officially" in our yard. It's in our neighbor's yard but it was leaning very much into ours so I think it counts.



We have lots of lumber laying around as we are trying to finish our deck. I like the colors and pattern it makes.



This Albertson's bag has been stuck in our tree for at least 6 months. It's about 20 feet in the air so what do you do? What I do is stare at it every day because it is right in front of our bedroom window.


This is very cool. The tree has grown around the rock in our front yard. It cannot be moved even the slightest!


Beautiful ground cover under our big tree. I love this stuff. It's like a billion little roses all over, just for me! 



This also was taken a few weeks ago. The smell was fantastic! I may have picked a few and sucked the nectar out, just like when I was a little girl.



Wes and I really look forward to this moment each year. This is how you know summer has officially arrived! It makes me all warm inside to see the quail couples with their darling babies run, run, run all over the neighborhood. Why won't they just fly to get out of the way of traffic?
 


This is an old newspaper we found after tearing out our yucky bushes this week. I think the color and texture is pretty cool! Nice shot paperboy. I wonder if he got his two dollars that week!


Well, now it is your turn. Let's see what wonderful things are in your yard! 
Tag, you're it!

7 comments:

Joan said...

Great blog idea. I will have to follow up. There truly is beauty everywhere if we just look. I may have taught you that, but I didn't teach you to say a-hole. This is a virtual washing out of your mouth. scrub, scrub, scrub with one of my favorite French soaps.

Mom

Colett (*.*) said...

I loved this post idea, as soon as I get a moment I will for sure do one. I like it when you say a-hole, it makes me giggle.

Kee said...

Great idea Amy, I'll look around and see what we have too...

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

I love this post. It says a lot about you to be able to see beauty in so many things. I would love to do this. It may take me a while but I'll get to it. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm excited for you getting a computer and cable. We just got cable for the first time too. It's fun having some fun shows to watch and I love having more options for my kids.

The Gilbert Bunch said...

Wow! We need to get together! So you started the yard with out us! Steve needs to get his but over to you house and help you! Congrats on the Mac! We still don't have a mac or cable! You are light years ahead of the Gilberts!

Margaret Kay said...

Well, I can't wait to see the unfolding of your yard now . . . from brown to green. Even that newspaper is actually great mulch. It IS all in how you look at it. Fun blog, Amy!

Alex said...

amy i love the stuff in your yard its so cool