Sunday, June 28, 2009

Saturday is a Special Day


When you are a stay at home mommy and have a hubby that is off work 4 days out of the week, every day is a Saturday! However, in the summertime, this day is a tad bit more precious and we find ourselves doing Saturday things on actual Saturdays. It is on the dark and cold days of winter that I long for the SLC Farmer's and Craft Market. I dream about lemonade, fruit tarts, jars of fresh honey and herbs. I long for the sound of the music being played by the street performers, the smell of the roasted almonds and the sights of all the people from all walks of life. Attending this weekly and culture ridden event keeps me sane in the "square" state of Utah.



Making a stop at Bruges Waffles just across the street. I cannot even begin to tell you how delicious this place is! These waffles are obviously from a place far beyond this world. Angels just may have made these.

*****


Aside from all fresh fruits and veggies, there are a lot of art and craft vendors. You know how I am a sucker for the crafts!
Easy Keeper is a one gal, one letter press operation. I am in love with Whitney Shaw's seed packets and recipe cards. I have them on my list of must have's for my next market visit! Her vintage/Victorian inspired images are right up my alley! Also, for all the animal lovers out there, she offers "canine and feline announcements" instead of baby's birth announcements! How clever is that, I ask you? I love talented crafters and I especially love local talented crafters!




V. Lou has a great booth where you can spoil your little one's rotten while making them look good at the same time. Yep, I gotta pick me up one of these shirts and totes for my Mr. Little Jeans! The brains behind it all is Kristin Cranmer. She also sold me the GREATEST shirt ever for only $20 because it was a prototype. She is my new Saturday hero.



Don't miss Ryan Perkins! I'm not sure if he will be there every week, but his work is charming and delightful! I absolutely love his colorful notebooks! His pocket-sized one will be perfect to carry around in a purse (or diaper bag!) to jot down any thoughts, ideas and inspirations. Or to just write down how much you love Ryan Perkins! (Sorry, he doesn't have a website or blog to link to but you can reach him at: ryan.d.perkins@utah.edu)


This may be my new fave pic of all time! This photo makes me happy on so many levels! I love Mom. I love lemonade. I love summer. I love Farmer's Market.



After was all said and done and walking away with just one bottle of honey and a new shirt, it was time for a much needed break. It gets pretty crowded and very toasty by noon so it's always nice to find a spot in the shade and just rest. There is a great playground in the park for the little ones. Since the park is a home to transients and meth-heads the other 6 days of the week, it never hurts to watch where you step and to always check for syringes laying on the ground before letting your child play!

7 comments:

{natalie} said...

i love going to the farmers market. that waffle looks awesome. i am going to have to check out the art market.

sachia said...

Looks so fun, a little pieve of heaven in Utah! Although Utah is a little bit sweeter with you in it....I must admit. :)

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

What fun stuff!

Colett (*.*) said...

you're making me wish I blew off the working gal day and came with you! I NEED to have those waffles!

Colett (*.*) said...

you're making me wish I blew off the working gal day and came with you! I NEED to have those waffles!

kristin said...

Thanks so much for blogging about my little shop (v.lou) at the market! It was great to meet you!

Joan said...

And..... the lemonade was so good. I always tell them I only want a small amount of ice or they will fill up the whole cup with it. I want lemonade, not ice and it was yummy. It was also a fun day.